Tuesday, March 10, 2015

The Struggle


  I can't believe I'll be 30 weeks on this Friday, March 13th...even more, I can't believe that I have been here since Friday, January 23rd!!!  When I arrived there was the fear that if I were to have to deliver there was only a 50% chance of survival.  As each week passed the odds swayed more in our favor.  At week 28 we hit the milestone of the babies not being born with delayed cognitive abilities and 90% chance they would not have cerebral palsy, and a 98% chance of survival!! Each week that passes with them remaining in utero reduces another risk factor.  NEC (necrotizing enterocolitis) is a serious intestinal disease among preemies.  NEC happens when tissue in the large or small intestine is injured or has developed a hole.  When this happens, the intestine can no longer hold waste, so bacteria and other waste can enter the baby's bloodstream or abdominal cavity, making the baby very sick or causing a life threatening infection.  NEC typically occurs before 32weeks gestation, but in some cases after.  I have to remind myself of these very real issues(and so many more I have not named), as having a preemie does not just mean a very small baby that has to stay in the NICU.  As much as I am ready to have my babies, I know that each day that passes with me remaining pregnant is a blessing to their health!
    I heard a quote today watching some news channel of a man on trial for a second murder; he was acquitted of the first murder.  Anyway he said "no one ever tells the whole truth, our nature will always prevent us from being 100% transparent."  Not to agree with a man on trial for murder, but the more I thought about it, the more I found myself agreeing with that statement.  So often we hold back as to "not hurt someone else's feelings, or make them uncomfortable" when I think often the reality is we are the ones that don't want to feel uncomfortable and we want to avoid confrontation to prevent someone from being angry with us.  Or we fear being judged. All that to say the raw honesty I am about to reveal might not agree with every reader.  From the beginning I have promised to be honest, and speaking the truth is easy if you omit the "hard to swallow details." The whole truth, on the other hand, can be a bit more difficult. Even though I know all the risk factors, my heart still yearns to hold my babies, and my body is ready to function "normally" again.  I was back in the L&D triage today having my blood pressure monitored, and after three hours of being monitored, was released to do another 24 hour urine test(where you collect your urine for 24 hours, it is processed to reveal the level of protein in it, and then pre eclampsia, or lack there of, is determined).   I am so thankful I got one of my favorite nurses today.  She is so genuine and kind.  My other favorite nurse came by when I first arrived to check on me.  She is the nurse that went out of her way to pick up my medicine from the CVS(which I had no way to get to) and she bought me a box of Girl Scout cookies.  I wish I could request the two of them for when I finally do deliver!
     Although today's hospital run was not traumatic, it was just another notch on my belt of annoying pregnancy symptoms, that encourage the attitude of "being done" or "giving up." My spirit is still strong, but my body is tired and no longer recognizable to me, and my emotions are hit or miss.  Some days I am happy and ready to cease the day(by sitting up in my bed instead of lying down ;)) and other days I totally melt down!  I am annoyed with myself for being annoyed at myself, what is wrong with me? I wish I had more strength to endure, but I feel empty.  I am finding myself jealous every time a mom from my "high order multiples support group" gets to deliver early due to bp issues, contractions, or what have you.  How twisted is that?  Babies need to stay in the womb as long as possible and I find myself wishing that every time I go into the hospital, or go in for an ultra sound or doctor's appointment, that there will be something going on that will force me to deliver.  How's that for raw honesty.  It hurts my heart that I am feeling this way, because I would, without thought, lay my life down for one of my children.  So why is this different? Is it because I was told from the beginning that I was unlikely to make it past 28 weeks? Is it because this pregnancy has been a battle? Is it because I'm being selfish? Is it because I have a hard time breathing? Is it because I'm tired of my belly resting on my thighs? Is it because I hate when baby A(who is shoved down into my cervix) gets the hiccups? Is it because I am overloaded with pregnancy hormones and have no control over my emotions...and body for that matter?  Is it because I HATE being away from my family?  Is it because I feel like I am failing as a mother to my boys at home? Is it because I miss going to bed with my husband and reaching over in the middle of the night to hold his arm? Is it because I am tired of peeing every 10 minutes? and having unreal acid reflux?  Maybe it's all those reasons combined and more.  I feel ashamed of myself for letting "the crap" stink up the wonderfulness of letting these babies bake until they are ready.
    I am so thankful for all the prayers, kind words, generous gifts, and up lifting support of all those who have been following this journey.  When someone leaves a comment saying how strong I am...I am flabbergasted! I feel anything but strong!  I have to thank the Lord for His light shining through my darkness, because His strength is the only thing getting me through.  I am a believer, but that does not mean I don't struggle, I don't have fear, or I don't get discouraged.  What it does mean is that when I am feeling this way, He does not turn from me!  As alone as I feel, I know He is with me...the still small voice!
   Hopefully the next post will be filled with humor and light heartedness, but the struggles are real and I want to be as transparent as possible.  Below are some pictures from this past week and weekend.
rest time
   
29 week belly bump
baby lumps


boys playing ball with daddy

7 comments:

  1. In a way I'm sooo happy to hear someone else be honest and feel just as i'm feel too.But i'm sorry your going threw all this too. I've been on bed rest since 26 weeks just hit 34 yesterday and I can't help but want to cross that 36 week mark and deliver all in the same day. We have 3 other small children(5,3,20M) at home with me so this is starting to wear on EVERYONE. I feel the guilt of all the duties I'm not capable of doing or sneak at night to do then have contractions so I'm back on my knees praying to keep this one in. Its this crazy mind game that no matter what I lose. Don't feel bad for what you are feeling I think its totally normal or we're both nut jobs?!?! Both of which are probable. lol Just know your not alone and I hope tomorrow is a better day cause lets be honest every day seems like an impossible battle almost.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I knew you in person I bet I would find your honesty is a trait your friends like. You should never be afraid to express your feelings. You seem like a great gal and the fact that you do worry shows that you are a great and caring mom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My name is Lauren McGee. My husband and I use to go to your church. Just want to let you know that I am praying for you as you continue on this journey with your family. Thank you so much for your honesty. It was a real encouragement to me.

    Your post reminded me of Paul's thorn in his flesh described in the Corinthians. It is amazing to me how despite Paul's hardships, he still glorified God. I wish sometimes I could be more like Paul. Anyway here are some verses of encouragement I found in 2 Corinthians. Wishing you many blessings upon your family.

    2 Corinthians 12:9 But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

    2 Corinthians 4:8-10 16-18
    We are afflicted in every way, but not crushed; perplexed, but not driven to despair; 9 persecuted, but not forsaken; struck down, but not destroyed; 10 always carrying in the body the death of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus may also be manifested in our bodies. 16 So we do not lose heart. Though our outer self[d] is wasting away, our inner self is being renewed day by day. 17 For this light momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison, 18 as we look not to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen. For the things that are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lauren! I love 2 Cor 12:9 and really any of Paul's letters!

      Delete
  4. Do not be ashamed of what you are feeling! Acknowledge it, process it, then move on when you are ready. With as much as you've been through it is understandable that there would be a little part of you ready to not be pregnant anymore. That doesn't make you a bad mom...it makes you human. No one is SuperMom. I only had singleton pregnancies that were not complicated by any means but by the end there were definitely times where I was ready to not be pregnant anymore. The swollen ankles & reflux were awful hard to deal with. Keep doing what you are doing! You are doing awesome! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't even begin to fathom all that you are and have been through. I can only continue to pray for you and those babies and keep positive thoughts. God bless and God's will!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now you are 30 weeks and a day-- so thankful that the babies' odds just keep improving and you haven't thrown in the towel yet. You're doing great. So many are pulling (and praying) for you!

    ReplyDelete