Monday, November 17, 2014

The Ultra Sound

    Knowing my hcg levels were high, I sat on the paper sheet on top of the table in my lovely paper dress, about to be torn apart by my rapid pounding heart.  I was so nervous thinking it could be twins!   I had a few moments of panic, wondering how is it possible for two babies to grow inside one womb!  I felt stretched to the max with my singleton pregnancies; however, if twins were God's plan, who am I to stand in His way!

   The doctor came and began the ultra sound(unfortunately not being far along, we had to use "the wand" instead of the over the belly transmitter). Right of the bat we saw two sacs side by side!  Even though I was expecting it, it still took my breath away!  She then wanted to look at the rest of my uterus and ovaries and such.  She moved the wand to the left and I screamed "what was that" she paused with wide eyes and said "that would be a third sac!"  My heart began to pound even harder, I was sure she could hear it.  She was just about to pull the wand out when to do so she moved it all the way to the left and... I screamed "ok, well what is that?!!!!"  and she said"hold on one second".  She let go of the wand, opened the door and yelled for the other doctor to come over.  I don't think I was breathing at all at this point.  I just kept saying "who has four babies? people have four babies?" She continued to scan and count the sacs...all four of them. A few minutes later the other doctor came in. 
  "I am counting multiple sacs, and just want to have you count as well, to make sure I am not double counting the same sac." Dr Halbach said with labored breathing.

As the doctors began to count four sacs together and then recounted four sacs, they confirmed that I did indeed had four sacs!  To which I responded "who has four babies?"
  She said "people do have four babies, just never anyone in this office, or in all the years I have been practicing." 

 She helped me sit up, since I was feeling...dizzy(to say the least). I was spinning with emotion! She said I could get dressed and then meet her in her office for further discussion.  I have never had such a hard time getting dressed before, I could hardly steady myself or my vision.  I kept glancing at the image she had printed for me.  "Who has four babies?"

 In the time it took me to finally get dressed and get to her office she was reviewing the scans of my ovaries before the insemination.  She was floored!  She said that she could only see two good eggs with a once in a blue moon shot at a third even being developed enough to release.  

 I proceeded to ask her, in a panic,  if she would tell my husband!   "How in the world do I tell him we are having...or do I tell him we are having...what do I tell him? Do you offer counseling or financial help?  Oh my gosh, what am I going to say?

She said I should tell Matt that there are in fact four sacs, and that I would come back for weekly scans to see how they progress.  She continued to explain how rare quads are, especially with only one round of Clomid and an IUI. In her opinion the development of four babies was not likely.

As I left her office, every nurse stared at me with excited smiles.  The one nurse who is always so kind to me stopped me and asked me if I was ok.  Then she congratulated me and shared how the whole office was excited for their first case of quads.  Apparently when a doctor opens the door screaming for another doctor in the middle of a scan, news travels fast!

I got into my car and knew I should call Matt, but could not form a sentence, so instead I called my mentor, dear friend, and neighbor Jennifer.  She had been praying over this process from the beginning.  All I could manage to say was "There are four!" 

To which she responded "four what"

"Babies...four babies, she saw four babies, who has four babies? Do you want one? How do I tell Matt there are four babies?" I word vomited.  

She graciously interrupted me with "Julie, it's going to be ok.  We will pray, It's going to be ok.  Can you drive?"

I went to work in a haze trying to figure out how I would tell my husband, who is a worrier (to say the least) that there are four babies?  I thought after all day of work, I would have figured out the perfect way to tell him... well that wasn't the case!




1 comment:

  1. I know it wasn't funny at the time but, I couldn't help but laugh as you told your friend about the four babies then asking her if she wanted one. Too cute!

    ReplyDelete