Monday, January 5, 2015

Angles, and Spasms, and Funneling OH MY!

This picture is proof that the angle in which a photo is taken makes all the difference! There are definitely 4 babies in that belly!

      My most recent visit with my peri(aka high risk doctor) went well'ish'.  Not surprisingly I had to wait for 30minutes to be seen, what did surprise me was how long this visit took.  It was an anatomy and growth scan and the ultrasound tech measured each piece of anatomy for 4 separate babies.  Halfway through baby A's scan I started having trouble breathing, my body began to heat up and my ears started ringing, the images on the screen were no longer clear, so I shut my eyes and prayed that I would not throw up all over this poor woman!  I Tried mind over matter for all of two or three minutes before I had to ask if I could roll on my side.  From my high order multiples support group I had heard stories of ultrasound techs that make you stay on your back because they have a hard time scanning you on your side, and how mean and aggressive they can be about it; hence, why I tried my best to stay on my back, but I got to the point where I figured she would rather work harder to get the scan with me on my side than clean throw up off of herself!  Thankfully she was very kind and accommodating, she told me to take deep breaths as she got me a cold rag to put on my head. She finished baby A, did B, and got half way through C when my hip and back muscles started spasming(when I lay on my side without a support up under my belly, the hanging weight puts a lot of strain on my back and hips). We slowly rolled me over to my right side having to take several pauses to allow my muscles to unwind, before I could finally settle into "scanning" position.  I peaked open my eyes and tried to focus on the screen.  I have missed not being able to see them, weird as it is because they are always with me, but I miss watching them move and listening to their heartbeat. I was so disappointed with myself for not being able to hold it together to watch their scans.  Mind over matter apparently doesn't apply when you have four babies cutting off the blood flow from you lower body back to your heart.
                When Doctor Rosmond came in he scanned for a bit with me on my side but was having a hard time seeing everything he needed to see on baby A( the one that is all the way at the bottom, blocking my cervix).  We slowly rolled me onto my back so that Rosmond could get the info he needed.  I was not able to stay on my back nearly the amount of time I did in the beginning, thankfully right as I was about to pass out he told me I could roll back to my side, and he got me another cold rag.  A few minutes went by and I peaked one eye open and Rosmond was standing right in front of my face, making sure I was ok.  Startled, I jumped a bit and said "oh hello there."  He told me once I was able he wanted me to go empty my bladder so they could do a trans vaginal scan(using the ultra sound wand to go inside) to better see my cervix.  When we finally got to that "oh so fun" scan, he did note that my cervix had started funneling.
                   ~ side bar to try and paint you a mental picture of funneling~
 If you hold your hands in front of you in "prayer" position(where all 5 fingers line up) the top part of the cervix(inside where the babies are) is where your palms meet.  When palm to fingers is closed, you are all good. As you open up at the palm but keep your fingers pressed together, this is funneling.  Once the "fingers" begin to separate, that is cause for concern and action as dilation and labor are soon to follow.
                 Doctor Rosmond is ok with the amount of funneling I have, but wants to keep an eye on it.  I see my regular ob next week and then back to Rosmond the week after, he feels this will be sufficient monitoring for now.  I just have to continue doing what I'm doing, which is a whole lot of nothing!
                 All that "drama" was worth it to have four healthy, growing babies!  Two weighed in at 14oz and two weighed in at 13 oz, all 4 have equal fluid around them and all four separate placentas are attached in great locations!  Praise Jesus!

*** please note, I made a short video to give you a visual for funneling but can't manage to upload it any where other than FB!  So if you are on FB you can visit my page and check out the video Oh My Quad - Kirkland's Journey .  Maybe one of these days I will get tech and social media savvy...then again, I'm about to have six kids under 6 in 1 house...so maybe not!

No comments:

Post a Comment