Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Saturday Hospital Stay

         For all intents and purposes, I was in a "hellish" situation with extremely unusual circumstances; however, God was holding me tight.  Most likely in order to protect me from physically harming or emotionally crippling one of His children!  I was at peace enough not to be angry with the hospital or the staff.  Those sweet nurses were literally running around trying to attend to their overflow of patients, yet when they were with me, they were attentive, kind, and reassuring.  As frustrated as I was, I knew it was no one's fault, and being angry or resentful would only make my attitude worse, so I did my best to make the best of this tornado of crazy that I was in...that was until my third roommate came in.
          Now, it could be that it was because I was tired, or it could be that all the issues I had with this third roommate had nothing to do with her being pregnant or in labor so therefore I grew more easily annoyed.  She was having to monitor her urine out put aka pee into measuring cup that attaches to the toilet.  Her urine then had to be transferred into a separate container.  I was graciously patient when I got up to go to the bathroom and there sat her cup o pee, still attached to the toilet.  I knew I couldn't just pee in it, I knew I was not about to handle that cup o pee by myself, so I wheeled my IV pole back to my bed and called for a nurse.  I then waited 10ish minutes for her to arrive and then a few more minutes for her to take care of the cup and then sanitize the peed on seat!  By this time I had to pee so badly my vision was becoming blurred and I had been standing leaning on my IV, so that could have been the cause as well.   As my nurse helped me back to my bed and got all my cords re-attached, I asked if I should be using another bathroom, since this lady had a "specific need."  My nurse told me that she would have a talk with her(my roommate) about how to transfer the urine herself or to call a nurse before she has to go to the bathroom, so someone can assist her as needed.  I thanked her and then tried to settle back in.  Through my burning eyes I tried reading the many text messages coming through my phone.  All best wishes, and concerns from friends and family(let me take this opportunity to apologize if I did not get back to you, I was truly in a haze).  It was almost 10am when Matt arrived, just seeing his face, I felt alive again...and then I started to cry.  All the emotions were bubbling close to the surface at this point, and of course I had to pee.  Matt helped me get unplugged and assisted me to the bathroom only to once again find the "pee cup."  Thankfully, I didn't have to wobble back to my bed, Matt went out and grabbed a nurse.  I loudly asked the nurse if I needed to be using another bathroom, for the sole purpose of the answer being within hearing range of "the roommate." The nurse responded as I hoped she would.  Silly me... I thought that would be the end of it!  Unfortunately, it happened AGAIN!  I was moments away from yanking back her curtain and throwing her cup o pee in her room!  She knew she was sharing that toilet, she had been told multiple times how to handle the cup, yet she still didn't do it!  I can handle a woman in labor experiencing bodily issues (as gross as they were), but this lady was just making me angry!  She had no excuse, she was just being lazy!
           I was still on the contraction monitor and was experiencing uterine irritability(I was experiencing more than uterine irritability, but that wasn't being monitored), so Matt and I decided to pull out the lap top and watch a show on Netflix to occupy the time.  But oh no no, roommate decided to live out an episode of Days of Our Lives when her baby daddy arrived.  I am not being discriminatory or judgmental she(the roommate) referred to her baby daddy as "baby daddy." The drama that unfolded between these two was unreal!  I do not have the time or mental willingness to re-live, in writing, what went down between these two people, but believe you me, it was ridiculous!  Now I know where soap opera writers get their materials from...hospital overflow rooms.  She then starting telling her baby daddy that I was being whiny about the bathroom and that she didn't ask for a nurse to come in and clean the toilet after I had used it.  I wanted to scream across the room "that's because I don't pee on the seat and leave my pee cup for someone else to clean up!"  I looked at Matt with huge eyes, he could tell I was about to loose it!  He held my hand and told me to stay calm, then he reminded me that we are lucky to not have that kind of drama in our life.  Ah perspective!
          I would later get my own room, with my own bathroom!  Praise the Lord, it was glorious! not really, it was a simple hospital room, but in comparison to where I had been...glorious! I was no longer on a clear liquid diet, so after I ate dinner I had a hot shower and I slept all night (minus the several times my nurse came in to monitor or medicate me).  Sunday was a new day and the boys were coming to see me!

3 comments:

  1. Julianne - you have the gift of story telling! I'm so sorry you had such a traumatic experience over the weekend, but I'm so glad you and the babies are doing well! I'm glad you're able to share with us!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew there would be a happy ending! You are a fabulous story teller!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, just wow. I am a friend of Donna Rae and she asked me to pray for y'all and directed me to your blog. I'm glad it wasn't any longer because I stayed up late late to read the whole thing! Keep baking those babies! We've got you covered in prayer.

    ReplyDelete